3/4 cup short grain brown rice
2 bunches dinosaur kale (about 10 leaves per bunch)
2-1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup milk
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Butter an 8-inch baking dish.
2. Cook the rice according to package instructions and set aside.
3. Wash the kale, strip the leaves from the stems, and cut the leaves into 1 inch strips. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the kale for 2 minutes. Drain the kale and rinse to cool, squeezing out any excess water. Set aside.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes until it begins to brown. Add the chicken stock and boil for 3 minutes until the liquid is reduced to less than 1/4 cup. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the milk along with the salt, pepper, nutmeg, rice, and kale. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg, yolk, and 1-1/2 cups of the cheese (leaving 1/4 cup for the next step), mixing thoroughly.
5. Spread the mixture in the baking dish and top with the reserved 1/4 cup cheese and the bread crumbs. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the gratin is golden brown on top and bubbling around the edges.
Serve hot or at room temperature.