1 cup cream
1/2 cup half and half
3/4 pound yellow onions, sliced into 1/4-inch crescents
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 pound green cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch slices
1/2 pound cauliflower florets, no larger than 1 inch (about 1-1/2 cups)
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F. Butter an 8-inch baking dish. If using pyrex, reduce baking temperature to 350˚F.
2. Combine cream, half and half, onions, garlic, 1 tsp. salt, sugar, and cayenne in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until onions are tender, about 10 minutes. (Do not over-reduce the cream or it will curdle.)
3. Stir in 1/3 cup Marco Polo cheese and pour into a large bowl.
4. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the remaining salt.
5. Add cabbage to the pot and cook for 3-1/2 minutes. Remove cabbage, leaving the water in the pot. Rinse cabbage and drain well, squeezing firmly to remove excess liquid.
6. In the same pot of water, add cauliflower and cook for 3-1/2 minutes. Strain, rinse, and drain well. Add vegetables to the large bowl with the cream mixture. Mix carefully. Scrape into baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
7. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown on top. Let dish sit for 5 minutes before serving.