Kale and Mama Lil's Mac & CheeseJump To Recipe
How To Make Kale and Mama Lil's Mac & Cheese
The real key to this recipe is the pickled peppers. We love to support brands that have common values – like only the best and freshest ingredients going into their products. (We love when it tastes good, too!).
How thick you chop your kale will depend on your preference. We prefer 1-inch squares which work perfectly when mixed into the mac and cheese. There is no bite more perfect than one that combines kale, Mama Lil’s Peppers, and our very own “World’s Best”!
Serve & Store
Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy hot. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.
Beecher's Product used
6 ounces penne pasta
8 ounces Beecher's Flagship cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
1-1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 ounces Beecher's Just Jack cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Pinch garlic powder
1/3 cup Mama Lil’s Pickled Peppers
1 ounce chopped kale (about 1-1/2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Cook penne 2 minutes less than package directions. Rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Continue whisking and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly add milk while whisking. Cook until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add 1-3/4 cups Flagship cheese, 1/4 cup Just Jack cheese, salt, 1/4 tsp. chili powder, and garlic powder. Stir until cheese is melted and all ingredients are incorporated, about 3 minutes.
- Combine pasta and sauce in a large bowl and mix carefully. Fold in kale and peppers. Scrape into an 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and chili powder.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Let Mac & Cheese sit for 5 minutes before serving.