Pesto Mac & CheeseJump To Recipe
How To Make Pesto Mac & Cheese
Making pesto at home is a quick process and the ingredient list is simple enough. You can make a tasty (and fresh) pesto with just pine nuts, parmesan, basil, olive oil, and salt. Combine the ingredients in a food processor until a thick paste-like substance forms. In a pinch, there are also tons of delicious in-store options for pesto. Pro tip: “World’s Best” is also easy to find at grocery stores so you can cover all your bases in one trip!
Serve & Store
Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy hot. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
6 ounces penne pasta
8 ounces Beecher's Flagship cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
1-1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 ounces Beecher's Just Jack cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Pinch garlic powder
2 tablespoons pesto (extra to drizzle, as desired)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Cook penne 2 minutes less than package directions. Rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Continue whisking and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly add milk while whisking. Cook until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add 1-3/4 cups Flagship cheese, 1/4 cup Just Jack cheese, salt, 1/4 tsp. chili powder, and garlic powder. Stir until cheese is melted and all ingredients are incorporated, about 3 minutes.
- Combine pasta and sauce in a large bowl and mix carefully. Fold in the pesto. Scrape into an 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and chili powder, and optional pesto drizzle.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Let Mac & Cheese sit for 5 minutes before serving.